Fat is fat is fat, right? Well, not exactly, there are actually several types of fat in the body, and some are better for you than others. Recent research has shown that having what is known as brown fat in your body can have health benefits and assist you with shedding unwanted pounds.
What is brown fat?
Brown fat (also known as Brown Adipose Tissue, or BAT) is a specialized form of adipose tissue that functions as a metabolic furnace, burning energy in the form of fat to produce heat. Brown fat is found in varying levels in all mammals and was first discovered in 1873 by Jean-Marie Aubert, who found that brown fat cells are rich in mitochondria and contain large droplets of lipids (fats). Researchers at the time didn’t know that mitochondria-rich fat (i.e., brown fat) could be burned by the body as a more efficient form of energy.
Research on brown fat did not flourish until the early 1950s when it was discovered that animals have two forms of adipose tissue: white and brown. The main function of brown fat is in newborns to keep them warm after birth.
Though more active in newborns, adults have small deposits of brown fat that switch on during cold exposure. These deposits become active in order to produce heat and keep us warm so we don’t go into hypothermia.
White fat and its health implications
White Adipose Tissue (WAT) is formed by excess calories in the body. These calories need somewhere to go, so your body stores them in cells with large droplets of lipid as an energy storage unit. Though some WAT is necessary in order to maintain, homeostasis(A state of balance among all the body systems needed for the body to survive and function correctly), once too much WAT is being stored in the body it leads to what is commonly known as obesity.
Obesity is linked to several health risks, which can be reversed if this excess tissue is removed (ideally through healthy means). These health risks include:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High LDL cholesterol, low HDL cholesterol, or high levels of triglycerides (dyslipidemia)
- Type 2 diabetes
- Coronary heart disease
- Gallbladder disease
- Osteoarthritis (a breakdown of cartilage and bone within a joint)
- Sleep apnea and breathing problems
- Lower quality of life
- Mental illness, such as clinical depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders
- Body pain and difficulty with physical functioning
The key to more brown fat?
Recent research on an innovative botanical ingredient known as Sinetrol® revealed the ability to convert existing WAT into BAT. This process is called fat beiging and helps to increase the amount of good fat in your body.
Sinetrol® is a natural combination of polyphenols extracted from citrus and guarana designed to target body weight management. The bioactive polyphenols in the formula include naringin, hesperidin and neohesperidin, and are thought to possess certain lipolytic properties,
Sinetrol activates the process by which your body naturally converts white fat (WAT) into brown (BAT) or beige fat, so that it can more easily be burned as energy.*
In a 16-week clinical study in which participants took a supplement with Sinetrol, 3 incredible results were found:
- Sinetrol helps burn more calories: It increases the number of calories you burn while at rest – even without exercise. It was shown that resting energy expenditure increased by 181 calories per day!* †
- Sinetrol reduces overall body fat: The ingredient reduced total body fat by 5.2% – equivalent to 4 pounds.*‡
- Sinetrol Targets the trunk: It specifically targets fat loss around the waist and hips – the most stubborn areas where people struggle to lose. After 16 weeks, participants reported 65% of total fat loss was in the waist and hips.*†
How to get more brown fat?
So, realizing that having more brown fat can be beneficial, what can you do to get more brown fat? Here are a few simple ways to increase the amount of brown fat in your body:
- Lower the temperature– Brown fat activates at colder temperatures, right at the point before shivering. You can do this by turning down the thermostat, taking cold showers, or trying an ice bath.
- Add iron to your diet– Fat forms in the body from the foods you eat. Brown fat is rich in iron, so adding an iron supplement or eating iron-rich foods like meat, seafood, whole grains, leafy vegetables, and beans could increase brown fat in the body.
- Eat a well-balanced diet– Nutrition is vital for your health, especially if you are trying to cultivate more brown fat. Foods with ursolic acid (like apples and dried fruit) could activate brown fat production in your body.
- Exercise– Exercise does more than just keep your body healthy. Exercise can activate your body’s blood hormone, irisin, which can tell the white fat in your body to burn like brown fat.
All of these are great suggestions and should be included as habits for any healthy lifestyle. However, there is an easier way. Sinetrol mentioned above, as well as B vitamins and green coffee bean extract can be found in LifeVantage PhysIQ® Fat Burn, making it the perfect partner to your diet and exercise.
When taken consistently, PhysIQ Fat Burn is a fantastic way to activate fat beiging in your body and convert that white adipose tissue into brown adipose tissue. This, when paired with a healthy diet and moderate exercise, can be the key to the lean you that you’re hoping to get back.*
LEARN MORE about PhysIQ Fat Burn
† Results demonstrated by subjects taking the key ingredient Sinetrol as directed from Week 1 to Week 16. Statistically significant difference within the Sinetrol group (P<0.0003.)
‡ Results demonstrated by subjects taking the key ingredient Sinetrol as directed from Week 1 to Week 16. Statistically significant difference in the amount of fat loss between placebo and Sinetrol group (P<0.016).
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Sinetrol is registered trademark of the Fytexia Group.
 CDC.Gov https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/effects/index.html
 Sinetrol https://fytexia.com/sinetrol/#:~:text=Sinetrol%C2%AE%20is%20a%20natural,630mg%2Fday.