Share This Article
Since the launch of Protandim NRF1 Synergizer we have received a handful of questions about the product. To help you get the most out of this powerful product, we put together an article that answers some of the most frequently asked questions. We have also provided links to some of our best resources about Protandim NRF1 Synergizer.
What is the link between NRF1 and Mitochondria?
As was mentioned in The Aging Story Part 3: Aging & Mitochondrial Health, maintaining peak cell function is essential when it comes to healthy aging and preserving your youth. To keep the cells working at full capacity, all structures within the cell must also be functioning efficiently and effectively.
Unfortunately, there are many destructive forces, as well as a natural deterioration process, that threaten the health of your cells by interrupting the function of a key cell structure – the mitochondria.
The destructive forces include both internal and external factors and can disrupt cell function by increasing levels of free radicals. Remember that in small amounts, free radicals act as signaling molecules and help the body respond to changes in its environment. The problem arises when the free radical load increases to a level that exceeds the body’s ability to defend against their harmful effects. High levels of free radicals can damage cell structures, particularly the mitochondria, which can eventually interfere with overall cell function.
In addition to the damaging effects of an imbalance between the free radical load and the body’s defense system (oxidative stress), the natural deterioration process takes a toll on the mitochondria. As you age, the process of mitochondrial biogenesis becomes less efficient, impacting the number and functionality of mitochondria in the cell which compromises cell function.
Here is where NRF1 comes into play. When activated, it turns on genes that encode for proteins involved in the respiratory chain as well as in mitochondrial DNA transcription and replication machinery. In other words, NRF1 stimulates the production of proteins that are needed for cellular energy production and proteins involved in the making of new, healthy mitochondria.
By using signals from the environment to activate NRF1, you can support the health of your cells if and when your body’s ability to carry out mitochondrial biogenesis is compromised (as a result of either oxidative stress or the body’s natural deterioration process).
To learn more about NRF1 read The Aging Story Part 5: The NRF1 Solution
What are Some Key Benefits of Protandim NRF1 Synergizer?
Protandim NRF1 Synergizer activates the NRF1 protein which works to support mitochondrial biogenesis – the creation of new, large and elongated mitochondria that create a connected network inside the cell. The better the network is connected, the better the cell functions.
A healthy mitochondrial force translates to peak mitochondrial function and sufficient ATP production. The result:
- Promotion of cellular health which leads to peak function (working capacity) of body organs and systems, especially those with high energy demands such as the brain, heart, and skeletal muscle. In other words, body organs are being supplied with the energy they need to carry out their day-to-day functions which positively impacts whole body function. Examples include:
- Heart has more energy available to pump blood throughout the body helping to provide your organs with the oxygen and nutrients they need to function
- Brain has more energy available to send and receive messages which supports all body functions (voluntary – thinking, walking, breathing & involuntary – digesting food, pumping blood)
- Skeletal muscles have more energy available to help with movement and maintenance of posture
- A greater ability to sustain high levels of activity without fatiguing
- Enhanced physical performance
- Enhanced endurance capacity
- Increased exercise tolerance
- Slowed cellular aging by 1) preventing excessive free radical production by the mitochondria and 2) supporting chromosome integrity
Check out the Protandim NRF1 Synergizer Product Information Sheet for more details.
What are the Benefits of Each Ingredient Found in Protandim NRF1 Synergizer?
Rhodiola Rosea (Root) Extract — Rhodiola rosea L. is a plant from the Himalayas which contains bioactives (salidrosides) that stimulate NRF1 and mitochondrial biogenesis and helps protect the endothelial cells from oxidative damage. It also actively stimulates ATP synthesis or re-synthesis in muscles during exercise. It is an adaptogenic herb with a bioactive that stimulates the NRF1 protein. Rhodiola Rosea (Root) Extract is used around the world to increase resistance to fatigue and helps with high altitude adaptation.
Coenzyme Q10 — It is made in the body and resides primarily in mitochondria where it plays a key role in transporting electrons so ATP is made. So ingesting CoQ10 has 2 benefits: it is already made so it helps compensate when the aging body makes less of it and it carries electrons towards their final destination – the making of ATP. Combined with Alpha Lipoic Acid, it supports cellular energy levels, stress response and antioxidant defense mechanisms.
Alpha-Lipoic Acid — Alpha lipoic acid, or ALA, is made in the body and helps to turn glucose into energy that the cell can use. ALA is able to neutralize free radicals because of its thiol groups and because it is both fat and water soluble, it can protect all parts of the cell (including the mitochondria) from these free radicals. So ingesting ALA has 2 benefits: it is already made so it helps compensate when the aging body makes less of it and it neutralizes free radicals that escaped the path toward making ATP.
Grape Extract — This extract, made from the whole grape (seeds, pulp and skin), contains powerful natural polyphenols (flavanols) known to have anti-aging capabilities. The bioactives help activate the NRF1 protein and other anti-aging pathways.
Quercetin — Quercetin is a naturally occurring antioxidant, a flavonoid that is abundant in various fruits and vegetables. It is a NRF1 activator that promotes mitochondria biogenesis and helps prevent mitochondrial decay. Quercetin contains polyphenols that help to protect the mitochondria and their function which supports ATP synthesis.
When Should I Take Protandim NRF1 Synergizer?
According to Dr. Nathalie Chevreau (Senior VP Research & Development), the directions for use are as follows:
- Take NRF1 Synergizer first thing in the morning with water or coffee with creamer/milk.
- Take Nrf2 Synergizer at least 30 minutes later with food.
Here is the reasoning behind these recommendations –
- The CoQ10 found in Protandim NRF1 Synergizer is best absorbed when in the presence of fat (from the creamer or milk in your coffee). So for best results, take NRF1 with a small amount of fat. But for those of you that are on a calorie-restricted diet and would prefer to take the supplement with water, feel free as you will still absorb some of the CoQ10 without fat present.
- Protandim Nrf2 Synergizer contains 3 ingredients that are best absorbed in the presence of fat – turmeric, milk thistle and bacopa. So, to absorb the greatest amount of nutrients from the Nrf2 supplement we recommend taking it with food.
- The 30 minutes between intake of Protandim NRF1 and Nfr2 allows for the nutrients in NRF1 to be absorbed into the bloodstream where they can take effect (aka begin their signaling duties) before the nutrients from Nrf2 are introduced into the system. This ensures that each supplement can provide the greatest benefit by minimizing the potential of any interference between nutrients found in each product.
- That being said, the results from the observational pilot study showed that those taking Protandim NRF1 and Nrf2 simultaneously (without the 30 minutes in between) still saw significant improvements. Therefore, when it comes to taking the two supplements, find the way that works best for you.